Life is not always easy. How we react and respond to our challenges is a testament to our level of consciousness. It takes tremendous strength and courage to face that which is presented to us. Often, we lack the skills and awareness to handle life’s curve balls. If you find yourself in a difficult situation, try out the following suggestions.
1. Create an affirmations notebook. Affirmations help rewire your brain. They plant the seeds for positive thinking and give you a new perspective. Turn the negative thoughts in your mind into positive ones. For example, if you say to yourself, "I procrastinate,” instead turn that around and say "I get things done in a timely manner.” Be sure to write this new thought down in your affirmation notebook and refer to it on a daily basis. As you begin to notice more negative thoughts, write down and record the revised positive affirmation in your notebook. In time, you will begin to notice how framing your thoughts in a positive way will affect your perspective and your life.
2. Start writing. Journaling is a great way to gain insight into your mind and give you clarity about yourself and your situation. It allows you to connect with yourself. Create a journal where you write about all your thoughts and emotions and the events of your situation. During this time, allow yourself to reflect and "listen” to what you have to say. Journaling creates a space for clarity and personal growth. Eventually, you will realize what action needs to be taken next.
3. Send out a prayer for guidance. Prayer is one of the simplest ways to find peace and calm in the midst of life changing events. It is a time to communicate with a greater power. With prayer you can fully share your thoughts without judgment from others. Prayer can be a humbling experience because it allows you to open up and ask for help.
4. Get out and walk. Walking gives you space. It takes you away from your daily grind as well as your troubling situation. It provides both physical and mental benefits. Even better if you can walk in nature. Walking is a perfect time to meditate and breathe deeply. So, next time you are feeling overwhelmed, take a break and take a walk.
5. Read something inspirational. Reading can help put things into perspective. Inspirational reading gives you hope and shows you that you can overcome your struggles. Reading reminds you that others have been and will continue to face hardships in life. Let your library, bookstore, internet or even your own bookshelf be a source of inspirational material. Perhaps you will stumble upon that perfect article, book or quote and bring awareness to your situation.
These suggestions can have a powerful impact on how you cope with the situation you are going through. Feel free to try one, some or all five of these tips. Focus on the ones that resonate with you.
Chelidha lives in Pittsburgh with her partner, dog and cat. She is currently working on her next writing assignment. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.